Thursday, August 20, 2009

Country Ride

Life got in the way of my training on Tuesday, but rode last night.

I used John and Nancy's as my starting point - that's where the bike pump and water bottles are! I invited Nancy to ride with me, and as usual, she accepted with excitement. We headed out for a ride through the country - south of town - where cars are few, roads are decent and views are good.

We rode for about 1 hour; I pushed the big chain ring the entire ride. Its pretty flat, not many hills, which made staying in the big ring a little easier. I spent most of the time in the mid gears in back, my legs felt tired when I tried to get into a tougher gear on the straight aways. I did however ride quite a bit above 16.5 mph, often finding myself in the 17 and 18 mph range. A nice surprise!

Upon completing the ride, I quickly got things put away and ran inside as the mosquitos had already decended on my sweaty shoulders, neck and arms and were munching away. I counted at least 5 bites in 60 seconds before I made it to the shelter of the family room.

Today is a commute day, plus a lunch meeting, so I am making time to swim mid-afternoon. Hoping to get in a bit of a longer swim - targeting 2000 - of nice smooth swimming.

In the meantime, I need to add Bug Spray to my Gearlist and I think I need to read up on the nomanclature of bike parts - I'm improvising with "big ring", "mid gears", etc.

2 comments:

  1. Here you go.

    http://touringdane.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/bicycle_parts_labeled.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I immediately keyed in on "spoke nipple", nipple ... he he... he he ...
    So I guess I got the "ring" correct, but should be referring to the "cassette" instead of calling them "gears". Thanks cmac!

    ReplyDelete