Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Re-Learning to Swim

Yesterday's Training: Swim - 1500
500 warm up: Fine, tried to keep my elbows high
4 x 50 on 60 seconds: Was able to do 4 of these at 50 seconds each, allowing for 10 seconds rest.
4 x 50 w/ 10 second rest: Here I slipped to 55 seconds each and needed rest of 10 seconds in between.
2 x 50 catch drill - 1 arm with elbows high. 1 lap for each arm - this was a mess - I felt unbalanced in the water, was not rotating properly - felt like I couldn't keep my opposite shoulder high like it should be, had a hard time rotating up to breathe, etc.
2 x 50 balance drill - I'm getting a lot better at this one
2 x 100: Was able to do these in about 1:50 - feeling fairly smooth in the water and trying to "reach".
200 cool down

Conor gave me a tutorial on key points from Total Emersion Swimming - lengthen strokes, power comes from hips and rotation vs. arm stength, work on balance. Once he's done with the book, I plan to read it myself. I also think we should invest in some swim coaching/lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment