Monday, August 17, 2009

Gear Check


I've been testing out a new technique for avoiding hangover, while still enjoying the libations. Every drink is followed by at least 1 large glass of water. This results in more trips to the bathroom, but staves off the inevitable headache the next morning. It worked wonders at this weekend's bachelorette party and kept me feeling well enough to get a 7 mile run in on Saturday afternoon. I was in Minneapolis and had the pleasure of staying close enough to run to and around Lake Harriett- which has a paved running path and great lake views! Minneapolis is a nice place - pretty white - but nice.

Now on to today's topic - GEAR. I am NOT a gearhead. I have been riding the same bike for 5 years, just now bought a new helmet, wear shoes that are larger than they should be because they were on sale, have kid sized Oakleys, and until 3 weeks ago had 1 real bike jersey. I did however, marry a gearhead, so I'm no stranger to that vicious cycle of upgrades that can come with any hobby - triathlon seems uniquely susceptible to this pattern. So in honor of all gearheads - below is my wish list:
1. Bike- a real tri bike that isn't made of steel.
2. Sunglasses - Preferably a pair that are stylish enough to wear when I'm not training, or better put, wouldn't make me look like a lesbian if worn with short hair and jeans.
3. Heart Rate Monitor & Watch - I have 2 sets of chest bands and shoe pods, but no watch to match?
4. Bike Shoes - a pair that fits properly.
5. Running Shoes - a pair that don't cause those blisters on my right foot.
6. Bike Trainer - this is really an optional item, I just want another one so I don't have to lug it back and forth, to and from MI every week. A Craig's list hunt might be in my future.
7. Sporty Training Wardrobe - specifically, white and red tops - "sporty spice" not small versions of "old spice".
8. Zipp SpeedShop 808/1080 Wheelset - DT Swiss 240 Hub - just kidding.
I will continue to mooch items from my in-laws while in MI and from Conor's gear in Chicago - so no need for a bike pump or water bottles or tubes or CO2 cartridges (yet, guaranteed my new bike will get more flats than good ol' Blue Steel did). And I have enough Power Bars to last me until next Spring (Thanks Stacey!). Once I get the items above, or at least the first 2, life will be much better. My friends and family can be proud to call me their "triathlete _______" instead of laughing at how out of place I look among the crowds of gearheads.

3 comments:

  1. No, you don't want a 1080 with a DT Swiss hub. You want the $3675 Zipp Sub 9 with a PowerTap SLC+ hub! https://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-components/2009-zipp-sub-9-discpower-tap-2.4-wireless-hub-4889.269.0.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooopss. Evan is right, I need the disc wheel for sure. That will definitely increase my speed from 16 to 16.5 mph, NO PROBLEM!

    ReplyDelete